Why manage fleet safety
In brief, the reasons for managing fleet safety are:
- For many people, the most dangerous thing they do while at work is drive on the public highway.
- Managing a fleet safety policy can save your organisation money.
- Road traffic accidents and resultant consequences can have a serious impact on programme delivery.
- Managing a fleet safety policy is a legal requirement in a number of jurisdictions around the world and organisations can be held accountable for any failures committed by its staff, or transport service providers.
- The vehicle fleet is probably the most prominent symbol of the organisation and driver behaviour and vehicle use/misuse will affect how an organisation is perceived thus impacting reputation.
This website is intended for use by all organisations operating road transport fleets, whatever their size from single vehicle owner-driver operations to fleets of many thousand vehicles and drivers, and from both the private and public sectors.
A nuber of Case Studies are available through the Driving for Better Business website, detailing the experiences of a variety of organisations in implementing fleet management systems.